Denison Reformed Presbyterian Covenanter Church undergoes renovation
The congregation was founded in 1871, the same year Queen Victoria of England opened the famous Royal Albert Hall in London.
From a gift from the late Wilbur and Anna Marie Braum, the church will have all ceilings and walls restored and painted.
Present church members Dr. Bill Waddell, M.D., and M. Wayne Alexander have also donated money for renovation of the church’s woodwork and replacement of the fluorescent lighting.
The project contractors were D.J. Chance Construction and Ken Eck Painting Company, both of Mayetta. Church member John Braum coordinated the work.
Two historic items in the church are also being restored. The church’s Blue Banner “For Christ’s Crown and Covenant” is being restitched by three women, Michaela and Danica Haverkamp and Shelby Phillips. Their great-great-great-grandparents, Simon and Agnes McCrory, were charter members of the church in 1871.
The Blue Banner “For Christ’s Crown and Covenant” was originally carried in the Scottish Reformation battles of the 1600s, hence the name Covenanters. An identical copy of the Blue Banner is in the National Scottish Museum in Edinburgh, Scotland.
After the Civil War, a freed slave gave the congregation a wall clock. Craftsman Steve Morris, Holton, has restored this historic item.
The church’s minister is the Rev. Ed Hindman.
Short URL: http://www.jeffcountynews.com/?p=9498