JCN boys reach milestone with 500th victory
The Chargers also scored the 50,000 point in school history when junior Billy Noll hit a free throw in the first quarter.
The Lady Chargers also won their game versus Oskaloosa with a 52-24 win. The Lady Chargers enter next week’s sub-state undefeated.
Winchester native Raymond Riley has been keeping the boys’ scores and stats since the first season in 1968-69. He said last week the program scored its 40,000 point in 2002. At the time he remarked that someone from the second-grade class at the time could be the one to score the 50,000. Those second-graders are now juniors.
Senior Jeff Hale moved into fourth place on the Chargers’ all-time scoring list. Riley said Hale would have to score more than 200 points this season to reach number three on the list. Last month Hale was number 12 on the list.
Riley has also spent the last couple of weeks looking at the books and developing some trivia questions as follows:
• What are the most points scored by a JCN boys team?
• What is the record for a JCN boys’ individual player in points scored in a single game?
• What is the best season’s record of a JCN boys’ team?
• In the 43 years, JCN has had nine boys’ basketball coaches. How many can you name?
• The JCN girls’ basketball teams of 1985 and 1987 won State Championships at Hutchinson in the 3A tournament. Who did they beat in the finals each year? Who was their Head Coach?
• We hear people talking about the distance to this year’s sub-state tournament at Marysville. That distance is 110 miles. What was the longest distance the JCN teams traveled for a basketball tournament?
• Many know that JCN, Winchester High School and Nortonville High School played in the Jefferson County League. In the very last Jefferson County League game in 1982, who was the JCN player who scored 40 points?
• Many of us remember seeing Horton alumnus, John Crider play for KU at Allen Field House in Lawrence. Name the JCN alum who also played varsity basketball at Allen Field House.
• JCN and Oskaloosa have enjoyed a long series of games since JCN was organized. How many games have been played between the Oskaloosa boys and JCN boys? What is the win-loss record between these two schools?
• Four individuals who participated in Tuesday night’s game scored a total of almost 3,000 points for JCN, between them. Who are these individuals?
Next week we will have Riley’s answers.
Short URL: http://www.jeffcountynews.com/?p=5515