Oskaloosa Bears remain undefeated at home this year

Oskaloosa tailback Jake Buscher ran past two Horton defenders Friday night on a 37-yard run that set up a Bears touchdown.

Oskaloosa tailback Jake Buscher ran past two Horton defenders Friday night on a 37-yard run that set up a Bears touchdown.

Story and photo by Dennis Sharkey

After a rough outing two weeks ago against league powerhouse Pleasant Ridge, the Oskaloosa Bears are back on track and appear to be firing on all cylinders after a crushing 36-12 win over Horton on Friday.

Head Coach Scott Whaley said the seniors on his team quickly forgot about the setback.

“We’ve got a group of seniors that are really good leaders,” Whaley said after the game Friday night. “They didn’t let it get them down and they forgot about that and they just tried to get better against the next two teams we played and I think they did a good job of that.”

It took only three plays on offense for the Bears to get rolling when Levi Wade broke free for a 54-yard touchdown run with just over a minute ticked off the clock. Mark Newell added a two-point conversion run for an 8-0 lead.

The Chargers avoided a disaster on their first possession by recovering their own fumble. The Chargers never recovered from the lost yardage and were forced to punt.

The Bears’ offense got rolling again after a 37-yard run by Jake Buscher set the Bears up at the Chargers 23 yard line. A few plays later Buscher completed the drive with a 10-yard touchdown catch from quarterback Adam Bowser. Buscher then added a two-point conversion run for a 16-0 Bear lead with four minutes left in the first quarter.

The Chargers moved the ball on their next two possessions but ended up turning the ball over on downs back to the Bears with the second series setting the Bears up at the Chargers’ 22-yard line. On the next play Wade broke a tackle and scored his second touchdown of the night on a 22-yard run. The conversion failed but the Bears led 22-0.

The Chargers then came to life on a 31-yard kick off return that set their offense up at their own 47-yard line. Four plays later Horton’s Trent Bell broke free for a 32-yard touchdown run but the two-point conversion run failed.

A short kick by the Chargers gave the ball back to the Bears at their own 45-yard line. The Bears chewed up more than four minutes and extended the lead to 28-6 on a touchdown drive that was set up by Wade when the Bears needed nine yards on fourth-down from the Chargers 27-yard line. Bowser threw a swing pass out to Wade where he had to break a tackle in the backfield. Wade gained 13 yards on the play down to the Chargers 14-yard line. The next play Buscher broke several tackles on the way to his second touchdown of the first half.

The Bears back-up players saw some action for much of the fourth-quarter. Whaley said it was nice for the second team to get into the game in front of the Homecoming crowd.

“They did a great job of moving the ball down there,” Whaley said of the second team offense. “Those kids come to practice all the time and work hard. Friday nights when everybody is here they don’t get to play much so I was really happy for them.”

The Bears wrap up a three-game home stand this Friday when district play begins against rival Valley Falls. Whaley said he isn’t worried about his team’s intensity going into next week.

“That’s motivation enough for us I hope,” he said.

Buscher led the Bears’ two-headed monster rushing attack with 144-yards on 14 carries and two touchdowns. Wade had 117 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns.

Short URL: http://www.jeffcountynews.com/?p=1731

Posted by on Oct 2 2010. Filed under Sports, The Independent. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Recently Commented