Game highlight: Jeff West vs. Hiawatha

by Dennis Sharkey

Only thunder and lightning could stop the Jefferson West Tiger’s offense Friday night as the Tigers rolled by Hiawatha 49-6 in a game that had to be completed Saturday evening.

With 3:23 left in the first quarter Friday night the Tigers were set to kick off to the Red Hawks for the third time in the quarter when game officials ordered the teams off the field because of lightning in the area.

The game started out bad for the Red Hawks as an unsuccessful onside kick was recovered by the Tigers with good field position. The drive ended with quarterback Dalton Dean weaving through defenders for the first of his three touchdowns in the quarter.

The miscues continued for the Red Hawks when they possesed the ball. The Hawks could not get a first down and faced a punting situation but elected to try a fake punt play that turned the ball back over to the Tigers at the Hawk 43-yard line.

On the next play Dean broke a tackle in the backfield and weaved his way 43 yards for the touchdown. The point after kick was no good and the Tigers led 13-0 with just over five minutes left in the first quarter.

Two plays into the Hawks’ next possession the ball was fumbled and recovered by the Tigers after the Hawks had completed a pass.

The Tigers only took two plays from the Hiawatha 20-yard line to score their third touchdown in the quarter on a 12-yard run by Dean, his third.

Both teams returned to the field Saturday afternoon to much more sunny skies.

The Hawks came out a diffrent team on Saturday managing to pick up a couple of first downs. The Hawks mixed up their look on their first drive with running back Camron Leupold lining up in a wildcat formation that was effective.

The Hawks moved the ball into Jeff West territory managing to set up a first down at the Jeff West 15-yard line. The Tigers then took a time out to regroup.

On the first play Jeff West sacked Hawk quarterback Brad Chilcoat for an 11-yard loss. The Hawks eventually turned the ball back over on downs.

However, the Hawks with a little confidence built up on offense came out and forced Dean into a bad throw as he was going down right into the hands of a Hawk defender and Hiawatha would take over at the Jeff West 32-yard line.

A few plays later Jeff West linebacker Scott Hutchinson forced Chilcoat to fumble the ball and linebacker Cylus Tichenor recovered the fumble.

Dean then showed the crowd who had returned that he can throw the ball by hooking up with wideout Clint Lee on a 50-yard pass play that set the Tigers up with a first and goal at the Hawks’ two-yard line.

Mik Barancik then punched the ball in from two-yards out for a 28-0 lead.

FootballThe only bright spot for the Hawks was a 74-yard kick off return for a touchdown by Leupold after the Tigers scored on Dean’s fourth touchdown of the contest. A two point try would fail. However, Barancik scored on the Tiger’s first play with an 80-yard run down the sideline.

The Tigers added another touchdown in the second half for the final score.

Short URL: http://www.jeffcountynews.com/?p=1396

Posted by on Sep 19 2010. Filed under Sports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Recently Commented