Fast to represent county seniors in special Legislature
Kirk Fast, Ozawkie, will participate in the 28th annual Kansas Silver-Haired Legislature as a delegate from Jefferson County.
The organization, established by the Kansas Legislature, consists of individuals aged 60 and older elected by their peers to develop bills and resolutions that are of interest to Kansas seniors and their families.
The Session will be Sept. 27-29.
The Legislature will consider and recommend legislation pertaining to:
- Urging the Kansas Legislature to legalize the use of marijuana for certain debilitating medical conditions.
- A bill to provide courts to consider a grandparent to be a custodian of a child if the child resides with the grandparent in a stable relationship and it is in the child’s best interest.
- Urging the Kansas Legislature to study the elimination of sales tax exemptions and exclusions to organizations that do not provide services or benefits on a statewide basis.
- Recommending to amend Sec. 2 of Article 2 of the Kansas Constitution for term limits of no more than two successive four-year terms in the Senate and no more than four two-year terms in the House.
- Urging the Kansas Legislature to enact legislation requiring all newly manufactured multi-passenger vehicles to be equipped seat belts for all passengers.
Short URL: http://www.jeffcountynews.com/?p=1493