Week of Thursday, March 29, 2007

Richard Barton

Richard Silas Barton, 65, died May 28, 2006, at Kalispell Regional Medical Center, Kalispell, Mont.

He was born Feb. 13, 1941, in Lawrence, to Otto A. Barton Sr. and Mildred Mitchell Barton. He grew up in the Oskaloosa and Winchester communities graduating from Winchester High School. He received his bachelor’s degree in accounting from California State Polytechnic University. He spent three years in the U.S. Army with the 7th Army in Germany and was a member of the Disabled American Veterans.

He was preceded in death by a brother, Robert G. Barton. Survivors include two brothers, O.A. Barton Jr., Plain City, Ohio, and Ross W. Barton, Topeka; and sisters, Mary Ellen Schuman, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and Bette I. Watson, Topeka.

Memorial contributions can be made to the charity of choice. His ashes were spread near Columbia Falls, Mont. Buffalo Hill Funeral Home was in charge of the services.

Mary L. Hulse

Mary L. Hulse, 56, Oskaloosa, died March 20, 2007. She had cancer.

She was born Oct. 24, 1950, at Hastings, Neb., the daughter of Bob and Verlene Gipe. She graduated from Adams Central High School in Hastings. Mrs. Hulse served in the U.S. Navy Hospital Corps during the Vietnam War and was a long-time employee of the Reuter Pipe Organ Co. in Lawrence. She was active in the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Lawrence.

Suvivors include her husband, Mark Hulse, Oskaloosa; children, Aaron Hulse, Rennick, Mo., Emily Woods, Axtell, and Megan Hulse, Lawrence; her mother, Verlene Gipe, Hastings; and sisters, Judy Berry, Trenton, Neb., and Kay Fried, Ruckersville, Va.

She will be cremated. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Memorials can be made to Hospice of Jefferson County.

William Newby

William M. “Bill” Newby, 80, McLouth, died March 21, 2007.

He was born Oct. 8, 1926, to William Jacob and Ruth Wickham Newby in Kansas City, Mo. Mr. Newby joined the U.S. Navy at the age of 19 and served 21 years. He retired in 1965 as a chief, fire control technician. Upon retiring from the Navy, he returned to Kansas City and lived in the area until moving to Tonganoxie in 1978. He was member of the McLouth Church of the Nazarene.

Survivors include his wife of 24 years, Margaret; children, Connie Waters, Dan Newby, Tess Newby, Lora Drauszewski, Leslye Lauer, Charity Newby, Lynda Spencer, Karen Campbell, and Kevin Campbell; 10 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services were March 26 at the McLouth Church of the Nazarene. Burial was at Mount Washington Cemetery, Independence, Mo., on March 27. Memorials can be made to the church.

Harry Nelson Martin

Nelson Martin, 80, of Leavenworth and formerly of Meriden and Nortonville, passed away peacefully on March 26th at Medicalodge of Leavenworth, where he had been a resident for 10 months.

He was born on a farm in the Bloomfield community north of Meriden, Kansas, on February 25, 1927 to Harry and Edith Mallory Martin. Nelson was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers, Gorby Martin and Chalmer Martin; and one sister, Glenna Mae Bolz, all of Kansas.

Nelson is survived by his wife of nearly 40 years, Linda, and their four children; Laura Ruble and her husband, Milton, of Leavenworth, Joseph Martin and his wife, Jane, of Fairway, Betsy Doughramaji and her husband, Salih, of Topeka, and Chris Martin and his wife, Wendy, of Oakwood, Ohio.

At the time of his passing Nelson had nine grandchildren; Emily and Isaac Ruble, Ian and Leah Martin, Spencer and Nolan Doughramaji and Jacob, Benjamin and Phoebe Martin. Other survivors include his brother Burley Martin of Turner, sisters Rose Ann Staab of Lakin and Daisy Kristofek of Bristol, Virginia, sisters-in-law, Marilyn Martin, of Lawrence and Eunice Martin of Shawnee and many nieces and nephews.

Nelson grew up on the family farm north of Meriden in an era that has come and gone; farming with horse-drawn equipment and walking or riding his trusty horse, Star, to a one-room schoolhouse. There were many hardships and few luxuries for their family but Nelson spoke of his early days with great pride, reverence and affection.

When Nelson was 17 years old, he contracted Guillain Beret syndrome which paralyzed his arms and legs. After spending 3 months at Christ Hospital in Topeka and another 6 months at the KU Medical Center, Nelson learned to walk again. After his hospitalization Nelson resided with his sister, Rose Ann, at Williamstown and graduated from Perry High School in 1946.

Nelson followed in his siblings’ footsteps and attended Baker University in Baldwin City. He graduated from Baker in 1950 with a BS in biology. For 22 years Nelson taught in small Kansas schools, touching the lives of hundreds of students. His first 2 years of teaching were at Rock Creek where he taught 5th-8th grade students in a 2-room school. For the next 20 years Nelson taught high school biology, chemistry and physics at Meriden, Sabetha, Valley Falls and Linwood.

It was while teaching at Sabetha High School that Nelson met Linda. They married on August 20, 1967, in Leavenworth, Kansas. After teaching for so many years, Nelson yearned to get back to the farm. In 1976 he and Linda packed up their family and moved to the farm north of Meriden. For the next 12 years Nelson planted soybeans and milo and cared for a small herd of cattle. While on the farm Nelson was kept busy with raising livestock, crops and kids. He was constantly working on a vehicle or tractor and was known for building his own tools if what he needed didn’t already exist.

Nelson was a patient, kind and proud man… proud of his brothers, sisters, parents, wife and children. He instilled in his children the value of honesty, courage and integrity which he never spoke of but demonstrated every day of his life.

He encouraged hard work and the use of one’s common sense and taught his children how to improvise. These were all lessons he learned himself growing up during the Great Depression. He loved to work with his hands, be outdoors, watch sports and, most of all, Nelson loved to talk. He had the gift of gab and blessed many people, friends and strangers alike, with his many entertaining stories.

He loved being with his family and they loved being with him. Nelson will be admired, loved and remembered forever by all who knew him.

Funeral services were Friday, March 30, at 10:30 a.m. at First United Methodist Church in Leavenworth. Burial followed at the Bloomfield Community Cemetery. The family received friends at the Davis Funeral Chapel in Leavenworth on Thursday evening March 29th.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Bloomfield Community Building Restoration Fund in care of the funeral home or to the charity of the donor’s choice.

Charles D. “Chuck” Gragg

Charles D. “Chuck” Gragg, 79, died March 8 at Mountain Towers Healthcare.

Mr. Gragg was born to M. Marsh and Thelma Keim Gragg on July 31, 1927, in Ozawkie, Kan. He attended elementary and junior high school in Valley Falls, Kan. The family moved to Kansas City, Kan., in 1942, and he graduated from Wyandotte High School in 1945 while also taking some college courses.

He enlisted in the U.S. Navy at 17 and underwent training at Great Lakes, N.A.S., Ill. He was assigned to the U.S.N. Medical Corps at Treasure Island, Calif., serving from 1945 to 1946 (World War II ended days before his ship was to sail to the Pacific).

Upon returning to Kansas City, he worked in the operating room at the University of Kansas Medical Center where he met his future wife, Mary “Kay” Newcombe, a student nurse. They were married June 13, 1948, in the First Methodist Church in Wichita, Kan.

While attending the University of Denver, he entered the R.O.T.C. program. He was commissioned a second lieutenant and went to Sher- man Field, Leavenworth, Kan., for 60 days active duty. The Koren War started and he applied for extended duty. The request was denied and he was advised to return to college, which he did.

Then, in December 1950, he was recalled to active duty and was sent to Warren Air Force Base. Fortunately, he had completed the necessary hours required for graduation. From Warren, he was assigned to communication school at Scott A.F.B., Illinois, and upon completion of the course was assigned to Ellington A.F.B., Texas, where he taught electronics to pilots and navigators.

Chuck applied for pilot training and was accepted to enter training at Bainbridge, Ga., receiving his wings in April 1954. His military career also took him and his family to Reese A.F.B., Texas; Laon A.F.B., France; McConnell A.F.B., Kansas; Schilling A.F.B., Kansas; March A.F.B., California; Offutt A.F.B., Nebraska; Taipei Air Station, Taiwan; Thailand (unaccompanied tour) and finally back to F.E. Warren.

Over the years, he enjoyed flying the B-26, B-57, B-47, T-29, T-33, T-39 and C-47. He, retired from the Air Force in 1977.

Upon retirement, Chuck worked in real estate and property management. He became a member of Cheyenne Lodge No. 1, AF&AM in 1979 and later served as worshipful master. In May 1979, he joined the Cheyenne York Rite Bodies and served as head of each body, later serving as treasurer for many years.

In 1981, he became a member of the Korein Shrine and the Cheyenne Shrine Club and enjoyed being a shrine clown. Also in 1981, he became a member of the Cheyenne Scottish Rite and served as treasurer for many years. In 1984, Chuck and Kay were initiated into Mizpah Chapter No. 36, OES. He served as worthy patron in 1990 and in 2000 served as worthy grand patron of the Grand Chapter of Wyoming. He served as most illustrious grand master of the Grand Council of Cryptic Masons in 1993 and later was elected to serve as grand treasurer of both the Grand Council and the Grand Commandery of Wyoming. Other Masonic affiliations include Red Cross of Constantine; Past Sovereign; Equality York Rite College; Past Grand Governor; Order of the Purple Cross of the Sovereign College of North America; KYCH, past prior; Holy Royal Arch Knights Templar Priests; KCCH and was awarded 33 Degree of the Wyoming Scottish Rite.

He was also a member of First United Methodist Church in Cheyenne; Cheyenne National Sojourners No. 5 and the Order of Daedalians. Chuck enjoyed many years as a Cheyenne Frontier Days volunteer, serving on several different committees.

Mr. Gragg is survived by his wife, Kay; two sons and daughters-in-law, Mark and Linda Gragg of West Palm Beach, Fla., and David and Dona Gragg of Norman, Okla.; granddaughters, Kelli Adkins of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., Calyn Gragg of Loveland, Colo., Natasha Morrissey (and husband Bryon) of Mullbery, Fla., and Samantha Gragg of Norman, Okla.; and two great-granddaughters, Alexis Adkins and Teagan Morrissey; his sister, Marsha Duval, Kansas City, Mo.; and sister-in-law Judy Stuart of Kansas City. He was preceded in death by parents, Marsh and Thelma Gragg, and three brothers-in-law.

Schraders Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. His memorial service was Thursday, March 22, at First United Methodist Church, 108 E. 18th, Cheyenne. Donations may be made to The Knights Templar Eye Foundation, c/o Stan McIrvin, 291 Indian Paintbrush, Unit H, Casper, WY 82604-3896; or Special Olympics Wyoming, P.O. Box 102-9, Casper, WY 82606-1029; or Mizpah Chapter No, 36, Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 4173, Cheyenne, WY 82003-4173.

Lawrence Martin Jr.

Lawrence “Larry” Arthur Martin Jr., 82, Wethersfield, Conn., died March 12, 2007.

Born in Newark, N.J., he was the son of the late Lawrence and Lucielle Krill Martin. He moved to Rocky Hill, Conn., in 1963 and has been a resident of Wethersfield since 1979.

He was a World War II Army veteran with four battle stars, including the Normandy Invasion and the Battle of the Bulge. He also participated in the liberation of Buchenwald.

He was a communicant of the Church of the Incarnation, Wethersfield, and a member of the East Glastonbury Fish and Game Club and the Rocky Hill Fish and Game Club.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Margaret (nee White) Martin; a son, Lawrence “Larry” A. Martin III, Valley Falls; two daughters, Michelle Conlan, Rocky Hill, and Susanne Martin, Ellington, Fla.; a brother, Raymond Martin, Sommerville, N.J.; and seven grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a sister, Alice Grodeck.

Funeral services were March 16 from the Guiliano-Sagarino Funeral Home at Brooklawn, Rocky Hill, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial in the Church of the Incarnation, Wethersfield. Interment followed in State Veterans Cemetery, Middletown, Conn., with full military honors.

Short URL: http://www.jeffcountynews.com/?p=525

Posted by on Aug 31 2010. Filed under Obituaries. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Recently Commented